Shocking News! The Lord Jesus, in (Matthew 7:21) said, “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven . . .” In other words, there will be people on that final day of judgment who expect to make it in to heaven but to their shock–won’t. God doesn’t want you to be shocked. He wants you to know for certain that you are going to heaven. Here’s what you need to know and do to have that assurance . . .
- No one can earn a place in heaven, nor does anyone deserve it. But God wants to give you this free gift of salvation in His Son Jesus Christ. Look at what God says in (Romans 6:23), “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Although this sounds too good to be true that God offers heaven to you as a free gift, this is the only way anyone can get in. This is evident in (Ephesians 2:8-9), “For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.”
- Even though it may be difficult to admit, you must accept the fact that you are a sinner and that it is impossible for you to save yourself even though you may go to church and try to be a decent person. Listen to what God says in (Romans 3:23), “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” Also in (Matthew 5:48) Jesus said, “
- Realize that although God is loving, (1 John 4:8b) “. . . God is love;” He is also holy and just. Because of who He is, God must punish sin as it says in (Exodus 34:7), “. . . [God] will by no means clear the guilty . . .” This is also made clear in the terrifying verse in (Revelation 20:15), “And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.”
- Understand that out of God’s great love and mercy, He sent His only son, Jesus Christ, to die on the cross and shed His blood. Jesus took your place to pay the penalty for your sins and to purchase a place in heaven for you. (Isaiah 53:6) “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him [Jesus] the iniquity of us all.” (1 Peter 2:24) “He [Jesus] himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed.”
- To receive this free gift of eternal life you must have saving faith in Jesus Christ. Saving faith is not merely believing in God as it says in (James 2:19), “You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!” or praying to Him in a time of special need or crisis. Saving faith is trusting in Jesus Christ alone for eternal life. It is repenting of your sin and receiving Christ as your personal Lord and Savior. (Acts 16:31) “. . . Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved . . .”
If you want to know for certain that you are going to heaven, repeat the following prayer to God. Even though they are someone else’s words, if they express your heart’s desire, God will hear your prayer of faith and save you.
“Lord,I realize that I’m a sinner and I cannot save myself. Thank you for dying for me on the cross to pay for my sins. I want to be saved from my sin and to have you as my Lord and Savior. I receive You now and trust only in You for my eternal salvation. I pray this in the name of Jesus, Amen.”
If you’ve prayed that prayer today, please contact us so that we can encourage you in your new life in Christ. (2 Corinthians 5:17) “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.”